Thursday 13 March 2014

Paper = Elephant?

Looking back, I remember sitting in one of my Secondary School classes - probably maths- being exceedingly bored. Being this bored I would create different animals/objects out of sheets of paper, a box, swan and my personal favourite, the origami fortune teller.  



I believe you could sit me in an empty room, with a stack of paper, and I would be absolutely fine. However the creations people make from a piece of paper really is ridiculous, for example this elephant:
http://home.bt.com/news/oddnews/origami-master-folds-lifesize-elephant-video-11363883995404

One sheet of paper, that is all it took to create this life size animal.  By the end of the art piece it was three metres tall and weighed 100 kg. It took dozens of helpers and it was formed over a  4 week period. The end result is a beautiful masterpiece of our lands beast.

How someone found the time to create this masterpiece maybe shows they don't really get out much. But they definitely made me aware that maths is needed to help with beautiful pieces, such as this one.

Maybe I should have paid a bit more attention in my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment